Today we will be reading Edgar Allan Poe's short story "The Masque of the Red Death," a tale about a man who, out of fear of a disease, shuts all of his friends inside a castle.

In order to prepare for the reading, write a paragraph of at least five sentences explaining what you would take with you if you had to shut yourself up inside a fortress for a month. This is a LIVE post, so use your first  name only. Your grade will be based only on your editing skills, so proofread very, very carefully before you submit.

Comments

sabrina
10/31/2011 08:48

I would take a whole bunch of food, all of my clothes, tooth brush, all my cleaning supplies, I would basically take everything with me that is in my house. I would bring my sister with me, my two dogs,bring games something that would not make me bored. I would bring flashlights or candles like they did back in the day if their is no electricty there. Bring all my friends my brothers and sisters, my cousins. If I can I would find Justin Bieber and take him with me. I would take a first aid kit, forks, knives, napkins, plates, bowls,and pots and pans. I would bring a mini referigerator, to put my steak and sodas, burger paties with my curly fries in it.

L.M <3
10/31/2011 08:48

If my friend locked me in a castle for a month beacuse there was a disease coming,I would bring my toothbrush,toothpaste,shampoo,food a lot,tolite paper, friends and family to talk to. clothes alot and maybe my wii so I can have some kind of fun and games some books to read at night. shoes a small fridge to keep my food cold. Candy any kind of sweets to keep my self going.

Maranda Patton
10/31/2011 08:48

If I had to lock myself inside a fortress for a month, I would bring with me the following: my best friend Erin, a month's supply of tooth paste, tooth brush, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, and perfume. I would also bring the following: my friend Befanii, month's supply of food drinks, toilet paper, games, hair brush, and clothes. I would have to have friends with me so I wouldn't be bored. I would have to have sanitizers with me so I would not be dirty and stinky. I would also have to bring games with me so my friends and I would not be bored. I would have to bring a month's supply of food and drinks so my friends and I would not go hungry and thirsty.

hannah leigh hume
10/31/2011 08:49

If I went to the fortress I would bring a year of mcdonadls for me.the clothes that I would have to bring dippers for grown people clothes for a year,a blanket,pillows and a mattress.For my food I would brinng two little fridges,alot of sodas and food.Also I would bring my hair products with me like my brush and other stuff.I would also bring my bathroom stufflike tooth brushes.The person I would bring is my boyfriend with me.

Presious
10/31/2011 08:50

I would take my family and friends;
food that would last about two-three months, and lots of water.
I would bring lots of things to entertain me such as a radio with batteries, magazines,games and movies.
I would take enough clothes to last me about two-three months, and warm blankets. I would bring things to keep up good hygiene such as soap, toliet paper, shower gel, deodorant and toothpaste. Also medication to keep healthy.

A.V.
10/31/2011 08:51

If I were to be locked up in a fortress, the things I would bring are: Bobby, food, clothing, soap, a straitner, tooth paste, tooth bursh, shoes,hair brush, deodorant, and Javon. I would bring Javon because he is my best frind and I also need someone to mess with. I would bring extra clothing so that I can change just in case something happens. I would bring lots, and lots of food, because i get really hungry.

chelseaaa<3
10/31/2011 08:51

If I had to lock myself in a fortress for a month I would take: plenty of soap, clean underwear, lots of clothes, people who make me laugh like Lexus and Sabrina, and three cute boys. Toothbrush, mouth wash lots of candy tv Wiz Khalifa and Lil Wayne, and all of my imaginary friends because they are really funny. I would need paper plates, and forks to eat, a first aid kit and blankets.The first aid kit is for just in case somebody want to act stupid and get cut. I would keep lots of blankets because I'm not sure what it is going to feel like in this room at night or during the day. zi would take plenty of food and snacks.

Adriana Chavez
10/31/2011 08:52

If I had to shut myself up in a fortress for a month, I would take the following with me: lots of food, my toothbrush with some toothpaste, my hamster, some soap and shampoo, a hairbrush, deodorant, and some things to do my hair and some candy to keep myself going. I would also take the most important people with me which are my family and my best friends. Besides my family, the one person I would really want to bring is Tahara Parvez, because if I'm feeling down I know she's the one that would make me feel better. I would also take Javon Bullard, because I would need someone to mess with if I ever got bored and I would take Bob because he is my best friend and I would need him with me. Last but not least I would take Faheem Parvez becuase I would need someone to make me laugh once in a while.

F.P
10/31/2011 08:53

If I were to get stuck in a fortress I would take: food, water, some toilet paper, a toilet and a bath tub, tooth brush and tooth paste, with my family and friends. We would need some entertainment like some board games. A big curtain to cover a spot for us to take showers.I would keep an oven with food supplies to make some sort of baked goods. I would take a mini fridge to keep food cold.

Tahara...=)
10/31/2011 08:53

The most important things I would take with me if I were to lock myself up in a fortress are the following: some food, alot of food with something to drink so I can be prepared for any hunger moment. I would also take soap with shampoo so I can be clean at all times. I would take some bubble bath so I can relax, a hairbrush to make my hair look nice and deoderant to smell good, a diary and a pen so I can write all about my days, a T.V. so I'm not that bored. I would also take my best friends AC, AK, KL, and JB, and I would also take my family so I dont get bored. Most importantly I would take some lip gloss so my lips don't get chapped, and some candy to stay active.

javon
10/31/2011 08:55

If I had to stay in a fortress for a month, I would take:soap,food,cloths,shoes, jackets,tooth brush,and tooth paste. These are the things that, I would if a disease would come to High Point.

AK<3
10/31/2011 10:59

If I had to shut myself in a fortress I would take my boyfriend KL, my best friend TP, LB, and my sister. I would take my oven, microwave, and my fridge full of food. I would take some soap, shampoo, deodorent, toothbrush, tooth paste, and my hair brush. I would also take some board games to entertain me when I would be bored

Andrew
10/31/2011 12:23

If I were stuck in Mrs.Kratzers' classroom I would jump out of the window.If that was not possible I would want a lot of pizza. I would also want a weapon in case I could no longer stand some of the others stuck in there with me. I would also want a PS3,4 controllers and Modern Warfare 3. Lastly, I would want wi-fi.

Micheal
10/31/2011 12:23

Food would be my first thing on my
list. Gaming systems, clothes, and my phone. Basically all the things i need to stay entained and well fed :). Oh and can not forget a toothbrush !!!!>_<'

Shelby<3
10/31/2011 12:24

If I had to stay in a fortress for a month with a group of people, I would bring my entire fridge and pantry. Also, my bunkbed and tons of clothes. I would also have a cell phone to communicate with other people. I'd bring a toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, flat iron, shampoo, conditioner, and toilet paper, to stay clean and fresh. I'd bring my girlfriend Alexis, as well.

AD
10/31/2011 12:25

If I were to be locked up in a fortress for a month, I would bring plenty of food. My girlfriend and my cat are main sources to bring as well. My laptop and cellphone are another important thing to bring. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to take a shower and stay fresh, I would bring some body spray, lotion, perfume, a tooth brush, and some tooth paste. One last thing I would bring is a pillow and some blankets.

Jacquelyn Marie Spivey
10/31/2011 12:26

If I had to stay with my 14 fellow students in a fortress for a month, I would certainly bring my phone, laptop, closet, tooth brush, tooth paste, air freshener, my own sheets and blankets, my own food, hairspray, my straightener, my curling iron, a bathroom, perfume, and my own personal maid. Being stuck in a room with 14 or 15 other people would get annoying at times. I need my whole room at my house but I am limited to only half of the things in my room. I will miss my whole family but I would get over it at somepoint. The main thing I can't live without it my phone. I need that. If I don't have my phone I don't need to be alive. My whole world revolves aound my phone.

Shine
10/31/2011 12:28

There are a couple of definite things that i must bring. Things that i would need for survival: clean drinking water, enough food for a month(especially rice), and adequate bedding. Things that i would bring just for entertainment are: a rubix cube, phone, ps3, and a lighter. All these things are great but the best thing to bring would be a friends or friends. You can never be more entertanied than with friends.

Fernando! :D
10/31/2011 12:28

If I was trapped in a castle for a month I would take with me only the most essential items. I would take canned items such as fruits, vegetables, and meat. Since I don't trust anyone I would take a weapon with me, either a gun or a knife. I would take my mp3 and a numerous bags of chips because I need entertainment. Finally, I need my toothbrush, comb, hairspray, mirror, clothes, and a can-opener!

Anyjah
10/31/2011 12:29

In the castel I will bring a month supply of food. I will also need: a tooth brush, hand mirror, tooth paste, perfume, deoderant,and lotion. Also, I would bring alot of sweatpants. Last but not least I would bring books because that is how I would have to spend my time because there are no cell towers.

10/31/2011 12:29

If I had to be with all these people with running water,mattresses for every person,toilets and electricity.I would just think of it as a home but i will probably die in 2 days.The reason is that i wont be able to live without a computer.Computer these days are a new kind of drug like Facebook.I'm better off with being everywhere then in one room with kratzer I am cool with other ppl but kratzer mann.

Crystal (;
10/31/2011 12:29

If I was trapped in a castle, I would bring clothes, water bottles, food, hair supplies, blankets, pillows, blow up mattress, soap, water bucket, a generator, tv, a fan, gasoline to fill the generator up, tooth paste, tooth brush and a tent that no one could come in but me. I would bring these things because I would be able to survive. The most important thing I would bring is a weapon, hand sanitizer, and a safety suit, because if there was a disease going around I would be okay.

Real Derek Snyder
10/31/2011 12:30

If I were to be trapped inside a castle for one month, I would bring the basic needs to survive. I would bring food, my personal electronics, a football/soccerball, a cup, a bucket, cleaning utensils, and a pillow. The electronics and football/soccerball would be for my entertainment. While the cup, bucket, cleaning utensils and pillow is for personal needs.I think these are the basic needs for myself to survive.

A.M ~Shorty(;
10/31/2011 12:36

If I had to stay in a Castle with Mrs. kratzer and my classmates for a whole month I hope to survive with my supplies. First, I would bring soap, shampoo, deodorant, clothes, a hair brush, a mirror and a jacket. Second, I would bring plenty of food, drinks, a toothbrush, some toothpaste, and my boyfriend.(: Lastly, I would bring my cell phone, ipod, my friend, my pillow, and some blankets.

Fernando Jimenez!! :D
11/08/2011 13:42

If I was trapped in a castle for a month, I would take with me only the most essential items. I would take canned items such as fruits, vegetables, and meat. Since I don't trust anyone, I would take a weapon with me, either a gun or a knife. I would take my mp3 and a numerous bags of chips because I need entertainment. Finally, I need my toothbrush, comb, hairspray, mirror, clothes, and a can-opener!