We have been discussing the impact of point of view on a reader's connection to theme. Today you will apply what you have learned and write a response to an image captured on September 11, 2001. Go to the link below and look at all 25 images. Choose ONE image and write a paragraph of seven to ten sentences from the point of view of someone IN THE PHOTOGRAPH. What are you thinking? feeling? fearing? hoping?

Your comment will be graded solely on grammatical perfection. Proofread carefully and then have a peer proofread as well.

Yahoo Images

Comments

NQ
09/11/2012 6:42am

I was standing there with tears in my eyes. We had lost so many people in such a quick period of time. Some of them were my friends, all I could think was what if that was me? Where's my family, do they know I'm okay? Is my family okay? So many officers and people dead why? Today this all changed me.

J.A.P
09/11/2012 6:54am

As President Bush was talking to the children in Sarasota, Florida he was interrupted by his chief of staff Andrew Card. After he interrupted his speech he came up to him and told him something. Apparently he was upset by what he was told by Card because he got concerned and told the students to stay calm and not panic. He was in a calm domineer while telling them this so no one did panic. After this he told the kids that he had to leave. Then he said good-bye to the kids who all wanted to hug him. And left out of the school courtyard walking off to the left of the podium stand. On which he was standing when he got the worst news of his life. That the United States was under attack.

Y.S.
09/11/2012 6:56am

Honors English I
Picture 11

9/11 Remembered:
Oh My God! I can’t believe this happened to us. I just lost a whole bunch of my friends, family member’s, my neighbors, children playing in the park and many more. We lost 23 officers; The Port Authority police lost 37. The FDNY's dead numbered 343. I can’t help but cry and mourn for all the people that died because they had a family. They had kids and now their families are devastated because they’re not coming back.

Joe
09/11/2012 7:01am

I was standing in lower Manhattan when all of a sudden an explosion broke out. Every on looked up as a plane crashed in to the twin towers. The distinct sounds and smells linger around emotions are filling the streets. The sight of people jumping out of the towers was very sad as the smoke covered the blue sky. Every one standing beside me was in dismay and people didn’t know what to think all that I knew was I need to get to a safe place. The streets were flooded with people running and people dying from the smoke getting inhaled in their lungs. I couldn’t believe my eyes when the twin towers just collapsed on the floor and people rushing to help and find family and friends.

Yasmeen
09/11/2012 7:04am

I am experiencing the most traumatic moment in my entire life. I now have to make the biggest decision ever do I jump and hope that someone finds me so my family can see me one last time. Do I accept the fact that I’ve lost and simply give up .I was and never well be a quitter so I have chosen to jump. I’m on the way down head first and starting to second guess myself but somehow deep down I feel as though I’ve made the right decision. I never would have thought I would wake up just like any other day and end up having to make a decision like this. Well I guess this is it I’m done…..
Picture #5

Paige
09/11/2012 7:04am

I remember it like it was yesterday. A Few days ago I witnessed the death of over 3000 people. I attended the funeral saluting to the firefighters. I broke down and cried. It was such a devastating feeling. I was hurt to see so many people die. I felt as if I were no longer living. I could still remember the sirens and smoke everywhere. This will be a moment I will never forget.

Picture # 11

Ana
09/11/2012 7:05am

Ana Aragon
Mrs.Kratzer
English 9
9/11
This picture captures the fear if all the people that are outside the building. It shows how scared they are that the building is burning down right in front of their eyes. It shows how the firemen are desperate to stop the fire and help the people that are trapped in the twin towers. People are turning back and they can’t believe that all of this is happening. All of the people have mask around their faces because the smoke is so bad. People are staring at the building terrified of what might happen next. People don’t know what to do except run to somewhere safe and wait till its safe to come back out and see what had happned.

Carmella
09/11/2012 7:05am

As I stand in the middle of the street, before me is a burning building. I can't believe what I just saw. I can hardly breathe in this air. All I see is flames and gray smoke in the air. Every where I turn around their is someone with a mask over their face. The fire department is trying their best to put out the fire. All over the ground their is trash.Everyone is freaking out and panicking.All I can think about is my family.

Quianna
09/11/2012 7:06am

I was one of the officers who carried out our spiritual Father. It was hard for me, how could he be dying now, so quickly? It all happened in such a blink of an eye I didn’t know who had died; I didn’t know who was living. ‘Where’s my family, are they okay?’ So many people lives were taken and many of them didn’t know what was going to happen. I never knew I’d be one of the few carrying out our spiritual Father who had helped along the way. This day will forever be in our minds, and hearts.

Armonte Peak
09/11/2012 7:06am

My 9-11
The Day that I died was the morning of September the eleventh. I did my daily routine. I woke up and started the coffee pot I had smoked a cigarette, while my wife and kids where off to school. I got dressed and headed off to work. I ran by Dunkin Doughnuts for breakfast which made me 10 minutes late. My boss man was waiting for me at my desk he called me to his office. When I walked in the room it was cold ,it was a room that has held fear and fist full of tears; there was no way I was going to lose my job I had to keep a roof over my family head and food on the table. My boss told me I was on the last straw, I prayed in my head thanks to Jesus above I walked back to my desk when all I could hear were screams, and smell a musky smoke spreading the room, I didn’t panic I was stunned. I couldn’t hear the sirens coming all the way from the 105th floor, then reality set in I knew was trapped with no way out I was going to die I crawled under my desk and got on my knees and I started to pray for my family to be able to make it without me. That was the last of the breaths I was going to take I ran through the hall and I leaped, and I fell to my death.

Lori Labrum
09/11/2012 6:46pm

I stumbled on to your teacher blog and took the liberty to read your writing assignments. Your passage here really touched me. Your voice as the person in the picture is very touching. I had no idea which picture you chose to write about until the very end. Your lead sentences were gripping. Your description of the day really sounds like the personal thoughts of someone with an earthly problem that soon turned into a spiritual problem with a very unusual ending. I envision his family never knowing the 'real' reason he died. Your writing touched me deeply. Thank you for letting me read this.

Armonte Peak
09/12/2012 5:57am

No, Thank you Very much im glad you enjoyed.

Yari
09/11/2012 7:06am

This photo to me shows how a man is falling from the building. I find this picture to be very powerful because I feel like he is throwing himself out of the burning building. I think the reason the man threw himself out of the building was because he didn’t want to burn to death. He probably feels like he rather dies fast and not slow and painful. He probably thought that he had a chance to live. Sep.9 .12

Jose
09/11/2012 7:07am

I was standing on top of the debris of Twin Tower. I was yelling and holding up ten figures saying, I found ten bodies! Come quick help me get them out they could be alive still. I was standing there where the Twin Tower was it was just shocking to see them fall. Me calling people out to help me get this debris off of theses body. Me just looking around seeing walls, steels, and many more debris.

marcus
09/11/2012 7:08am

The reason why I took this picture was because I wanted to capture the burning building. The 9/11 tragedy was captured and remembered by all the photographs taken that day. The other reason why I took this picture was because I wanted to capture the explosion of the second plane hit the buliding and it went up in flames.

Sara French :)
09/11/2012 7:09am

There I was sitting at work in my uniform eating my doughnuts and drinking my coffee petting spot our Dalmatian. That’s when I got the message. My walkie talkie buzzed in my pocket, "Jimmy we need you down by the twin towers there has been a bombing”. I hopped in my big red truck with the crew and spot and drove down. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Smoke everywhere, flames, people crying, blood, ash, and bodies everywhere. It was pure chaos; It was like a dystopia. I spent the whole day dying down the vicious flames that consumed everything. That’s when reality hit. All those people dead all the loss, tears, and grief. The sorrow filled the air. As I walked back to my truck with the look of depression on my face I refused to look back at the broken building for it reminded me of the thousands of broken hearts and souls that would be grieving tonight and every 9/11.

Alyssa
09/11/2012 7:12am

Citizens crowded everywhere in lower Manhattan, heads tilted up, mouths gaping, terror and fear were in their eyes. They stood in horror as they watched one of the twin towers burn up, smoke clouded the skies all across the city. People were on phones, calling family and loved ones, making sure they weren’t going to be going to a funeral. Everyone was in shock. They stood there and couldn’t move. They didn’t know what to do or what to say. Everybody there knew that this very moment, would be in their head forever, terrorizing their hearts forever.

Antonio
09/11/2012 7:20am

I think that the man who committed suicide by jumping out of the window of the World Trade Center such as many other victims, which had no other choice because they were on the top of the building being engulfed by flames .To eliminate the agonizing pain of being burned to death and being crushed to death with the rubble of the destroyed building. Knowing that they would never live to see the next day.

antonio
09/11/2012 7:23am

I think that the man who committed suicide by jumping out of the window of the World Trade Center such as many other victims, which had no other choice because they were on the top of the building being engulfed by flames had to jump to eliminate the agonizing pain of being burned to death and being crushed to death with the rubble of the destroyed building. Knowing that they would never live to see the next day.

Taylor C
09/11/2012 7:27am

The picture of a group of people looking at one of the World Trade Centers on fire, which you can see in the background, with masks on their faces. It looks as though the mass of people on the streets has calmed. But to know just hours before the streets were in chaos with people trying to find shelter but with others appalled by the events happening in front of them. Firefighters rushing to try and save the lives of the victims stuck in the catastrophe; news reporters trying to get the information out to the public but not truly knowing all the information about the events unfolding right before their eyes. The horror of watching people jumping out of the World Trade Center on their own choice rather than being burnt alive by the fire from the fuel. The anxiety of not knowing whether the people you know and love are alive or dead; not knowing if there is going to be another attack against us. The citizens watching the events on the news wondering can there ever be a day as traumatic as today.

BN
10/11/2012 7:14am

I woke up this morning not knowing the tragedy I would whiteness. I woke up, did my hygiene got ready for work and headed out. I was at work taking calls, and attending meetings. Suddenly I hear and feel a big bang. The alarms start going of and people start evacuating the building. Today marked one of the worst days in history.